Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah has started its operation on September 29, 2007 after the whole operation was completed transferred from Hospital Alor Setar to the new hospital. The hospital is located on a land area of 28.33 hectares with an area of the hospital complex is 110.200 m2. This hospital is 6km distance from the center of Bandaraya Alor Setar and the hospital complex can be seen from the North South Expressway (exit Alor Setar Utara). The new hospital has replaced the Hospital Alor Star, where the old hospital is named as Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah Cawangan Lebuhraya Darulaman.
As a state hospital, this hospital acts a reference for 12 Klinik Kesihatan in Kota Setar / Pendang district, 8 hospitals and 11 private hospitals. This hospital is also equipped with a Total Hospital Information System (THIS), which all hospital operations are implemented online. Hospital complex is divided into four main building blocks which are Medical Support Block (Specialist Clinic), Ward Block, Main Block and Non-Medical Support Block (Management Office).
Specialized services provided are as follows:
1. General Medicine (Gastroentrologi, Nephrology, Cardiology, Respiratory Medicine, Dermatology and Infectious Diseases).
2. General Surgery (Colorectal, Pediatric Surgery, Plastic and reconstructive, Urology, Hepatopankreatobiliari and neurosurgery).
3. Orthopedics (Arthroplasti and Spinal)
4. Pediatrics (Pediatric Intensive Care)
5. Obstetrics and Gynaecology (Gynae Oncology, Maternal fetal, reproductive and Urogynaecology)
6. Anesthesiology (Intensive Care)
7. Otorhinolaryngology (Head and Neck and Pediatric)
8. Ophthalmology (Glaucoma, Vitroretina, Cornea)
9. Psychiatry (Psychiatry in the Community)
10. Forensics (Histopathology)
11. Anatomical Pathology Microbiology Hematology (Gastrointestinal and Liver Pathology)
12. Pediatric Dentistry and Oral Maksilofacial
14. Transfusion Medicine